How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My unmarried partner lives in jamaica I am a british. We have

Resolved Question:

My unmarried partner lives in jamaica I am a british. We have a 8 month old baby together that he has never seen. He has never been to the uk before. He would like to come over to visit me and his daughter. Which is he best visa to apply for. We do not wish to get married at the moment.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

He can come as a family visitor. He will need to make an application to the Embassy in Kingston and then if granted he will be permitted stay for up to 6 months.


In order for the UK to class someone as an unmarried partner, you need to have been living with them for 2 years in a relationship akin to a marriage. Did you live together in Jamaica?


You will need to carefully explain in your application the purpose of his visit as otherwise there is a danger that the Home Office will refuse your application on the basis they believe he is coming to stay long term or for you to get married but has obtained the incorrect visa.


I would advise getting the assistance of a solicitor in preparing the application so it doesn't get refused on a misunderstanding.


Depending on your income, you may be able to get legal aid to cover your legal fees.


I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. IF you require any further information, please ask.

CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your response. Please advise if a family visa refusual can be apealed.


I have previously contacted the CAB regarding this matter and they claimed that he should apply for a tourist visa as he would be more likely to get through on this type of visa as a family visa is harder to get. What do you think about this?


You have stated that I should seek asistance from a solicitor with the application which I will do.


Where my confusion lies is although he will apply to come and visit his daughter, will we need to provide proof of an ongoing relationship eg: length of time together phone bills letters as this would seem to me that the focus will then become our relationship and not the fact that he has applied to visit his daughter.