How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived in Northern Ireland for 3 years, i am from Brasil,

Resolved Question:

I have lived in Northern Ireland for 3 years, i am from Brasil, i have a 2 year old son who was born in Ireland, his father is also from Brasil, we are not together anymore, i have wroked as a cleaner being paid cash which has made it possible for me to care and look after my son, can i apply for a visa to live in Ireland as my son is British or will we both be deported.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


What is your immigration status? Are you here on a worker permit? Did you have a visa to enter Northern Ireland when you first came here?


Kind regards


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, i came for 3 months and stayed on, i am classed as illegal.
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



I'm terribly sorry but the fact that you are presently here illegally will mean that any application you make will not be successful given the length of time you have been illegally in the Country. You will then be deported and marked as an overstayer.


I'm afraid that your child is also technically not British unless an application as been made in his regard if his father had gained British Citizenship, but I note you say you are not in contact with him so I assume this is not the case.


You can return to Brazil in the hope of apply for another visa once you are back there but the significant period time that you have ovestayed will count heavily against any application you make. It's not an attractive proposition but it may be better than staying here illegally and attempting to raise your son with all the pressures that entails.


It's a hugely difficult situation and you really do have my deepest sympathies.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you