How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, A friend of ours has lived in South Africa since the age

This answer was rated:

A friend of ours has lived in South Africa since the age of nine, she is now 60 as at February 2010. She was born in Wolverhampton, Engalnd.
The friend has always had a UK passport and has never taken up S.A. citizenship.
She now wishes to return to live in England.
Can you say what financial benefits (if any) she might claim on her return?
Thank you.
Ted Lewis.

Hi Ted,


Thanks for your question. Short answer, not a great many I'm afraid.


In order to be eligible to receive a state pension one must be of the requisite age and have contributed 30 years of National Insurance Contributions, if she does not meet this criteria then she will not be entitled to a state pension.


She will be able to get a free bus pass to provide free off peak local bus travel anywhere in the UK. They are other concessionary rates for trains.


If she is over 65 and has made some other provision towards her retirement (pension/savings) then she could apply for a savings credit of £20.52 is single £ 27.09 if she had a partner.


If she was in receipt of pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit (which she could also apply for if she was on a low income) and was living in an oil central heating then she could apply for a Warm Front grant of between £3, 500.00-6, 000.00 to improve the heating system.


She would also be eligible for a winter fuel payment if she was born before 5 July 1950 and lived in the UK on any day between 20-26 September 2010. This would be between £125.00-150.00 per year.


Not as much as you might otherwise expect, it was a pledge of the government to improve the quality of life for the elderly so it's foreseeable that there will be some kind of a shake up in the not-too distant future. Though it remains to be seen just how much it will be improved.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions