How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I gt married in April to my Philippine fianc she will give

Resolved Question:

I gt married in April to my Philippine fiancé she will give birth to our son at anytime soon will my son beable to qualify for a British passport and how long would it take to get my family to the uk to be with me thanks for any help
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question. What nationality are you, what is your immigration status in this country, is your wife in the UK and if so what type of visa is she here on?


Kind regards,




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am British living here in the uk my wife is still in the Philippines I hope to get my wife here to the uk once the baby is born
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Your wife will need to apply for a spouses visa from the Philippines. She must apply using form VAF1F (available for download from HOme Office UK Border Agency website) .


She will need to prove that you are a married couple (eg. marriage certificate), that you are settled here (ie. as a brit national), that you intend to live together in the UK, that you can support each other without recourse to public funds and that you have suitable accommodation either owned by you or lived in by your household.


The son will be British National by virtue of your citizenship, so he will be able to apply for a British passport straight away if you can prove you are the father (eg. birth certificate, paternity test if not).


If you want to give your wife the best chance of coming here then I would instruct a immigration lawyer or practitioner to prepare, or at least check, your application. If it is refused then I would certainly instruct a solicitor at that point to act on your behalf.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,






Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you