How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a relationship with an Algerian National who has recently

Resolved Question:

I am in a relationship with an Algerian National who has recently advised me that he is not here legally, but has been living here at least 10 years. I am a polish national who has been living in the uk legally for one year. He has said that if in two years we get married then he would be able to stay here legally as he will get some documents. I am not sure if this is correct as I do not hold a uk passport and have not become a british citizen, please can you advise on this situation for us and what implications this will have for me as obviously I do not want to get in trouble with british authrorities.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If your partner has been in the UK illegally then he can only apply for indefinite leave to remain here once he has been here for 14 years. So if he stays for a further four years he will be eligible to make an application for ILR provided he can prove the length of his stay and will Form SET(O).


However you could both go to Poland, marry there and apply (from Poland) for EEA national family permit. He could then return to the UK as a family member of an EEA national and not face the prospect of deportation.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you