How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long am I allowed to stay in the UK

This answer was rated:

<p>I am a US citizen, retired and self supporting.  Can I legally stay in the UK for 6 months without any special visa?  I don't want to work here I am traveling with a backpack as a tourist.</p><p> </p>



Thanks for your question.


If you are coming to the UK for 6 months or less then you will not need to make a formal application for a Visa. You will be granted one on port of entry automatically as a US citizen.


If you are to stay for longer than 6 months you will require a Visa.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you