How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A Hayat Your Own Question
A Hayat
A Hayat, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 337
Experience:  13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
A Hayat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived in the uk since 1962. I came as a child with my

Resolved Question:

I have lived in the uk since 1962. I came as a child with my parents. I hold an american passport. In my old passport it has a stamp stating that I have leave to enter the uk and stay for an indefinate period. However, I renewed my passport 3 years ago. The stamp is not in the new one. I am going on holiday in June for 2 weeks, to the us. Will I have a problem returning to the uk? I havent been outside the uk in over 6 years.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  A Hayat replied 7 years ago.

do you still have your old passport in your possession?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I do still have it.
Expert:  A Hayat replied 7 years ago.


If you can evidence that you hold indefinite leave on arrival back to the United Kingdom then it is unlikely that you will encounter any serious problems at immigration control as once it is clear that you hold indefinite leave you will be allowed entry as of right. You might be asked questions by an immigration control in order to establish your status and histroy if it is not immediately clear, hence why you should carry your previous passport to evidence this if necessary. Ideally you should apply to have your new passport endorsed with your existing grant of leave. This can be done at your local Home Office Enquiry Unit depending on where you live. You can apply in person and pay the premium fee of £578.00 and the endorsement can then be done on the same day.


Trust this answers your question.


Please don't forget to click accept! And I will be glad to offer some additional information at no extra charge.

Edited by A Hayat on 4/8/2010 at 12:10 PM EST
A Hayat and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions