How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was an overstayer for 9 years in the UK and I was in a relationship

Resolved Question:

I was an overstayer for 9 years in the UK and I was in a relationship for two years, my partner is from holland. We decided to get marry so I ask the home office for the permission and it was granted to me, we got marry last August and we submitted the application,we receive a letter of acknowledgement and I also got my NI and working, the question I would to ask is how long does home office takes to issue the spouse visa permit ? It's going on 5 months now, I made to understand that because my husband is from the EU it would take less time, can you please shed some light on this for me. Thanks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

As the spouse of an EEA citizen, you do not actually need to apply for leave to remain, the fact you are married to him gives you your status. Did you apply as an EEA family member rather than as a spouse of a British citizen? If so then the residence card you are waiting for is just a formality and not a necessity for you to remain here legally.


You can write to the Home Office and try and ask for an update on your case. If you still struggle you could either get a solicitor to chase on your behalf or contact your local MP and get them to chase it up for you.


I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require any further information, please ask.

CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions