How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had my Indefinate Leave to Remain in the UK since I

Resolved Question:

I have had my Indefinate Leave to Remain in the UK since I was seven years old.

I am now 22 years old, I now want to apply for citezenship

How much does it cost?

Do I have to take the test even though I have lived here for over 15 years and went to both primary and secondary school here?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately you will still have to take the life in the UK test as you are over 18 and I assume there are no medical reasons preventing you from taking it. I would get a test booked asap as they sometimes have long waiting lists.


In terms of applying for citizenship, the Home Office current fee is £720. See link to current fees table -


As from 6 April 2010, the fee for a single person to naturalise will be £655 (see table of new fees so it actually appears that the fees will be decreasing in April. You may therefore want to wait and pay the lower fee though the Home Office do change the information on their website and so it is worth keeping an eye on this information as it could change between now and April.


I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require any further information, please ask.

CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you