How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, am from india and presently a student in uk,i have come

Resolved Question:

am from india and presently a student in uk,i have come on a student visa in sept2009,i had got married in india in feb 2009,my husband had also accompanied me to uk as my dependent,due to some personal problems we are not getting along with each other,we seek a divorce from each other,hw can v get that,is it possible in uk and can u pls tell the time it will take, or will we be required to go to india to have one,thanku.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

If you are legally married then you can get a divorce in the UK. You will need to seek the advice of a matrimonial solicitor who will be able to advise on the process. Depending on your income, you may be able to get legal help so your won't have to pay for your legal costs.


If you do not want him to be a dependent on your application anymore, it is a good idea to write to the Home Office and notify them of this so you will no longer be responsible for him. It is unlikely that they will remove him but at least this may release you from any potential responsibility for him.


I hope this answers your question in which case accept. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can u pls tell me the time it takes to get a divorce in uk?
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

It depends on the specifics of the case but an average divorce with no disputes financial or otherwise can take from 3 to 6 months. It would be a good idea to take advice from a matrimonial solicitor as they will be able to advise you properly and deal with the divorce for you.


I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require anything further please ask.



CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions