How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have been living in the UK for 17 years as an asylem seeker

Resolved Question:

i have been living in the UK for 17 years as an asylem seeker . Even if my case was exhausted i got a chance to apply for indefinite leave to remain based on the length of residence in the United Kingdom. i have been wel integrated in the community,i have never been involved in any crime directly or indirectly and i have never been out of the system.For your information i am reporting to the uk Border Agency every month. i recived a letter from Home office 2 years ago that my applicaton for ILR was valid and also sent me another letter that my application has been given to the case worker and at the same time mentioning his name who was dealing with my case but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is still waiting for decision. to be honest with you i don't know what to do next and olso my health is deteriorating every day becuse of my hypertention,controled on ramipril,also has dibetes. i can't afford to pay the lawyer to pursue my case just sitting and waiting my fate but for how long please help me.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately long residence applications can take the Home Office a long time to decide as they prioritise straight forward applications under the rules for people who are here legally and the others get put to the bottom of the pile.

If you have supplied the Home Office with evidence that you have continuously been here for at least 14 years (at least 1 piece of documentation from each year) then your application should be successful providing you have never been issued with removal directions which would 'stop the clock' on your 14 years.

As you claimed asylum before October 2007, you may also find that you are being considered by the Case Resolution Directorate (Legacy) and so you may also get a letter requesting photographs from them between now and July 2011.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that you can do to hurry the Home Office up, they will make the decision as and when they are ready. Things you could try however are going to see your local MP and getting them to chase up the Home Office or alternatively you could seek the assistance of a legal aid solicitor who will be able to help you free of charge depending on your income.

If your health is deteriorating significantly, it may be worth sending the Home Office some up to date information regarding your situation. This may also help speed up the process. It is advisable to seek the assistance of a solicitor to make further applications if you can.

I trust this answers your question in which case Accept. If you have any further questions, please ask.
CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you