How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amanji Your Own Question
Amanji, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108
Experience:  Litigation Partner with live and varied private client immigration caseload.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Amanji is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner is British, she is coming back to Australia in January

Resolved Question:

My partner is British, she is coming back to Australia in January and we are registering our civil unions. We are wanting to apply for a Civil Partnership visa in the UK. She will be returning to the Uk from her holiday in Australia. Do you know if we are able to start that application now or will we have to wait until we have completed our civil unions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Please can someone answer my question???
Expert:  Amanji replied 7 years ago.

Good morning


I have not seen your query listed before now but would apologise on behalf of my colleagues for the delay. This type of delay is not the norm.


I believe that you should wait until the civil ceremony has been registered before lodging the CP visa application as part of the supporting evidence would be the registration certificate.


However, this does not mean you cannot start drafting the application and gathering the relevant supporting documentation. Your partner would be your sponsor.


The current rules (paragraph 281 of the Immigration Rules) that apply for CP visas can be accessed by clicking on the link below:


Broadly speaking, you both need to be at least 21yrs old, you both need to have physically met each other and have an intention to live together permanently in the UK. Your sponsor needs to be settled in the UK.


In terms of supporting documents, this depends on the individual case but usually includes: sponsorship declaration/letter highlighting that sponsor undertakes to maintain and accommodate you; evidence of sponsor's financial standing (3mths wage slips and bank/savings statements); evidence that you can be adequately accommodated by the sponsor (property assessment report for your sponsor's residence that certifies that there would be no overcrowding caused by your living there); if sponsor rents, tenancy agreement with letter from landlord that your occupation would not be a problem, that there are no rental arrears and the tenancy is to be renewed; if sponsor is owner-occupier, office copies for property, latest annual mortgage statement and recent utility bills; and evidence of your personal circumstances.


Hope that clarifies the situation. Kind regards




Please click green button to accept answer.

Amanji and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you