How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am resident in the UK, and I have both South African and

Customer Question

I am resident in the UK, and I have both South African and UK citizenships. I have very close family friends resident in South Africa and they only have South Africa citizenship. Their 17-year-old son who would like to come to the UK to possible finish his schooling and or work towards a trade. Is it possible for me to become the legal guardian of my friend’s son, and use my UK Citizenship to help their son further his studies either through college or doing a trade? I have done extensive reading on the subject and not found much, I understand that there is a 'Dependants Visa', although from what I have read you need to be related in some way to be eligible for this visa. Are there any other routes available? Any advise would be appreciated.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You may become the legal guardian or adoptive parent of the child, however, there is no guarantee that the child will be granted a Dependants Visa.


If the child is looking to study in the UK, they will be eligible to make an application for a Students Visa (Tier 4 General).


Other than making an application on his own merit, there is little else you can do.


I hope this answers yoru question. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,