INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hi, I am holding a Chinese passport with my maiden name on

Hi, I am holding a Chinese passport with my maiden name on the main page in Chinese characters, also the PinYin counterpart. I got married recently with a British so I had my married name endorsed only on my current passort. Because Chinese embassy said as there is no changing of my Chinese name they are not issuing a new passort with married name on the main page. So, my question is, is my new name accepted by the UK in this form on the passort? Which name should I use to travel? Everytime people check my passort I will have to show them the endorsement page other than main page?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

If your name has not been changed on your chinese passport, you will still be known by your previous name. The fact that you are married does not mean that you will be known by the new name unless you choose to adopt the surname of hour husband.

From the information you have provided above, it would seem that you would have to show immigration officials the endorsement, if asked about the discrepancy on your name and flight tickets.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, thank you for the answer! I have started to change my name to my married name (yes, use my husband's surname) from all sources, including DVLA, banks, HMRC etc. because I want to use my married name in the UK onwards. Because of this, I went to Chinese embassy in London for the name changing. They did the notation on my Chinese passport said: "The bearer of this passport is also known as ** (my married name)." The things is , as long as I keep my Chinese name's characters, my Chinese passport will show them on the main page (because it needs to be in Chinese with counterpart PinYin). My married name will only be shown on the main page of a British passport in the future when I am qualified to apply (because British passport main page can't show Chinese characters). I hope I explained more. So for now, does this mean that I could use both of these names in the UK legally? Which one I'd better use to travel with less trouble? Thank you again!!
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

From the information you have provided, it would seem that you would be eligible to use bth names, however, your chinese name should only be used when booking flight tockets or using our passport to travel in and out of the country. Otherwise, you should use your UK married name.

Kind regards,