UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

Hi, I want to move to from Denmark to UK 1.3.2010. Reason…

Hi, I want to move to...
I want to move to from Denmark to UK 1.3.2010. Reason to work for the company in the UK. I will be working for and paid in DKK by a danish subsidary of an UK based company. I looks as if the 'resident non-domciled' rule could apply. My parents kids, and ex. are in Denmark. I understand I am taxable to the UK for money taken into the UK. I will need to pay cost of living only from my danish salary. I have no funds needed to be taken into the UK.
What's your comment and/or advise in order for me to maximise my net.income?
Kind Regards XXXXX XXXXX Larsen
11/12/2009
Tax Expert

HiCustomer/p>

Thanks for your question

When you arrive in the UK - depending on what your intentions are regarding your time in the UK - , you have a choice based on what your intentions are - whether you are treated as resident for tax purposes or are taxed as a non domicile on what is known as the remittance basis.

The remittance basis for those individuals that have spent some time in the UK will cost a flat remittance charge of £30,000 to have all income that is not remitted into the UK to remain free of UK tax. These new rules came into effect in April 2008

However for those that have not lived in the UK for seven of the last nine tax years, this fee is not charged, and remittance basis can still be claimed

I have added a link here that explains about remittance basis - when it applies, and how to claim it with HMRC tax department.

I have also added the link to the new Residency Guide HMRC6 - which is a detailed publication - that is worth looking it - in your situation.

If you do not plan to stay in the UK for more than 7 years and the personal allowances which save you £1295 as a basic rate taxpayer and £2590 if you will earn more than £37400 as a higher rate taxpayer - are less cost that the tax that would arise on being charged on all your income - which includes what sits out of the UK - the it would be viable to chose the remittance basis.

Thanks

Hi - thanks

One piece of Info. Is missing from my question, please

I interpret that I can fall under the remittance rule. But I will need to pay cost of living ie. rent, insurance etc., Is that considered 'taking money into' the UK and thereby needs to be claimed to tax authorities? or are we only looking at more substantial funds ie for investments?

Best, Ole

HiCustomer/p>

Thanks for your response.

You for the moment will qualify for remittance basis - based on the information you have provided.

This is due to you having not lived in the UK for 7 out of the last 9 years - so you do have the benefit of this - and not being British by birth.

Although - you would need to seek accountancy advise, where your incomes and other capital could be fully considered.

The salary is more complex, as you would have earned this money in the UK - so it has arisen in the UK - and all of it may well be liable - regardless of what proportion you actually physically use in the UK - and it will be only duties carried out abroad, that might qualify to fall under the remittance basis - which again is why you need an accountant to look at the entire situation for you, as I am sure you can appreciate - a forum such as this cannot give you 100% certaintly without having sight of all details of your income affairs

Thanks

Hi -

sorry but you prob. Missed I Will be working for a Danish subsidary of An UK based company getting paid in Denmark in Dkk?

Ole

HiCustomer/p>

Thanks for your response

By whom you are paid and from where is irrelveant - all your duties will be carried out in the UK - so initially under normal taxation rules you are going to be liable on all this income

You have stated that you may only use what you need for living expenses from this salary - but you if earn it all in the UK - that it will arise by virture of your duties in UK so will not fall under remittance basis

Just be mindful of the fact that you have to pay somewhere - and if you claim the remittance basis that all your income will be liable in the Netherlands - but as you are coming to live in the UK - we have first consideration as to how you should be treated for tax purposes.

Your saalry, if all duties are carried out in the UK - will not form part of that remittance basis - as earned directly and arising indirectly from your work in the UK

Thanks

Hi Customer

Thanks for your response

Thanks

Tax Expert
Tax Expert
Tax Expert
Tax Expert