How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in the UK for over 7 years, however I do not have

This answer was rated:

I have been in the UK for over 7 years, however I do not have a current visa or work permit as it expired several years ago. I am not an EU national. I would like to be able to travel home and come back to the UK properly as I have a partner who is a British citizen and many friends here also, it has become like home. I feel guilty that I am not doing things legally but I have no idea where to start to rectify it and am worried that I will have to leave and not be allowed to return.

Are you married to your current partner?

Do you have any children?

What is your Nationality?

Many thanks,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We are not married but have lived together for two years, he is a British citizen. I don't have any children or dependents. My nationality is Australian and my age is 36 years.

Many thanks.



I am afraid that the bad news is that you cannot just regularise your stay on the basis of being involved with someone for two years.


If you and your partner intend to marry, the best thing you could do it to return to Australia, get married and then make an application for a Spouse Visa.


As it currently stands, there is little you can do to legalise your immigration status.


I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you