INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Q How tax office and UKBA relate Do they exchange info so

Q:How tax office and UKBA relate? Do they exchange info so that once I become non-resident for tax purpose, will UKBA cancel my Indefinite Leave to Remain?

I am Japanese and hold ILR(had work permit b4).I now need to go back to Japan due to family matter for maybe few years, but would like to keep my ILR so that I can come back to live in the UK sometime in the future.I will definitely come back within two years on short-trip bais before my IRIS registration will expire. For tax purpose, I am thinking to submit the p85 form in order to avoid any future trouble with HMRC although I don't expect I would get much tax refund.This leads to the above question.Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for yoru question.

If you have ILR and you are planning on remaoning outside of the UK for a period of 2 years or more, it is likely that your ILR may be withdrawn.

If you are planning to return within the next two years, provided that you return to the UK and spens some time here, your ILR will still be valid. The problem you may have is when making an ap-plication for Naturalisation as you would not have completed the qualifying residence periods.

I hope this answers yoru question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Am I right to understand that non-resident status for tax purpose will not affect my ILR as long as I come back within two years? Again, thank you for your help.
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

H,

yes that is correct.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

Its a pleasure.

Good luck!