How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11825
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is a filipino and hopefully will enter the uk

Resolved Question:

My girlfriend is a filipino and hopefully will enter the uk in january on a student visa.The visa will last until January 2011.Can we marrying in the uk whilst she is studying (i.e August 2010)?
Are there any specific requirements to enable the marriage in UK?
If the anwser is yes we can marrying, what new visa would she have to apply for to stay in the uk as my spouse?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

As a Student in the UK, she will be eligible to marry, however, before doing so, she will need to obtain a certificate of approval from the Home Office. Once granted she will be eligible to marry.

Once married, she will be eligible to apply for a Spouse Visa.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for confirming that we can get married.The other element to my question was about requirements.I beleive there are time requirements, such as she has to be in the country 6months into her student visa and we mucst marry before 3months is left ont he visa.If you can confirm, then I am happy to accept.Thankstn
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

It is correct that she has to be in the UK for a period of 6 months before she is allowed to marry, howver, I am not aware of the 3 monthe provision prior to the expiration of her visa as a visa can be extended.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions