How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am British lived here for 20 yrs wants to apply for settlement

Resolved Question:

I am British lived here for 20 yrs wants to apply for settlement visa for my mother.Am a proffesional with a good salery and able to accomedate her. she is here with a 6 months visitor visa. She lives alone, her only son who was in the army has left the country recently so she has no one there. and so decided to apply for a settlement for her while she is here. she completely depends on me financially. she is frail,old has minor health issues. i use to visit regularly but now unable due to other commitment. even for her to visit me i have to go to bring her which now am not able to. she is illitrate is becoming very forgetful and not able to pass KOL or ESOL test. my question is does she have to meet this requirement? and secondly is there any other way of extending her stay so she can may be attempt to try and learn English.and finally if i go ahead and make the application and gets refused can we appeal?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.



If your mother is over 65, she does not need to complete the Life in the UK/ESOL Test.


In order to submit a successful application for settlement, you will need to prove that your mother is wholly dependant upon you and that she has no other family ties in her Home Country.


The form you have suggested Form SET F, is the correct form.


I hope this answers yoru question. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is 55 depends wholly on me. the main issue now is she is illitrate it will be very difficult for her to learn and pass the test before her visa runs out. is it possible to extend her visa so she can try and learn?
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.



She will need to apply for a variation or extension of her existing visa to allow her to complete the test.


I hope this helps.

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you