How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am American by birth, I was born in Virginia in 1967 to an

Resolved Question:

I am American by birth, I was born in Virginia in 1967 to an English mother and American father. We moved to England when I was 3 and I was raised as an English boy. I have N.I number, medical records since the '70s and registered for service before I was 16. However my parents never formally registered me in England, and I have split my time between England and the U.S since. I am now approaching my 5 yrs anniversary of living back in England and want citizenship and a British passport. Am I correct in assuming I am eligible and will I need legal assistance to apply ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you have been living in the UK for a period of 5 years or more, you will be eligible to apply for Settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)).

In order to make an application for ILR, you need to submit an application on Form SET O.

Click on the following link for further details:

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am well aware of the 5yr requirement. What I was interested in was the family connection side.
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.

What exactly would you like to know? Please elaborate.


Many thanks,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

As I was raised as English and when my parents were divorced in 1978, my brothers and me were made wards of our mum. i guess my question is , does any of these facts and the afore mentioned facts have any influence on my application ? After your answer I will be paying you. Thanks
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.



The short answer is no it would not have a bearing on your application.


You will still need to fulfill the requirement of having lived in the UK for the preceding 5 years prior to any application you make.


Each application is decided against the criteria in force at the time.


I hope this helps.

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you