How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born here in the UK in 1985 and left for australia in

Customer Question

I was born here in the UK in 1985 and left for australia in 1988 and have Lived in Australia for 20 years, now I am living in the UK and staying here on a UK Ancestry Visa, however I want to study in the UK but I am still classed as an International student and I can't afford the International student fees!
My question is: Am I able to be granted British Citizenship and therefore get a British Passport?
Here are the facts:
- My parents were never married
- My mother is Australian, but she lived and worked in the UK for 5 years before she gave birth to me
- My Father was born here in the UK and has a british passport
- My brother who was born in the UK in 1982 has a british passport
Hope these facts help in answering my question.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

How long have you been living in the UK?

Was your father resident in the Uk at the time of your birth?

What is the duration of your Visa?

Does your visa state "No Recourse to Public Funds"

Many thanks,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your reply,
Answers to above questions:
I have been living in the UK for 3 months!
My father was resident in the UK at the time of my birth!
The duration of my Ancestry Visa is 5 years
My Visa does state "No Recourse to Public Funds"
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.

I have checked the rules and I cannot see how you can apply for UK Nationality on the basis that you were born in the UK to UK Parent(s).

I am afraid as a person in the UK on an Ancestry Visa, you will be considered as an International Student.

After you have lived legally in the United Kingdom for a certain length of time (usually between two and five years), you may be able to apply to live here permanently, depending on the category of visa you have. You should see the appropriate category for more information on whether you can apply for permanent residence and the qualifying period for it.

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,