How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a New Zealand citizen and my partner is a British citizen

Customer Question

I am a New Zealand citizen and my partner is a British citizen and would like to know what type of visa I should get. I understand I can enter the UK for a period of 6 months without a visa but I would like to gain employment. Our situation is some what complicated therefore not to sure what to apply for. I was residing in the UK on ‘accompany spouse visa’ but the relationship/marriage ended and I was unable to obtain an independent visa and therefore left the UK in June. However, prior to moving back to the UK I met my partner in May 2008. I returned to NZ and during this time we decided to enter a relationship and I return to the UK for a visit in October 2008. I returned to the UK in January 2009. However, as my partner was in the middle of a divorcé and I was threatened by the ex-wife / her family and both still legally married we moved to Dubai. As my partner has children and contact with them has minimal due to the ex, we are moving back to the UK. It’s all very complicated and we do not have evidence of living together and have not being able to live together for 2 years we cannot obtain de-facto visa. We can now legally get married and hope to get married in March in New Zealand. However, if it is better to get married in the UK then we will do that. What do I need to do? Obtain an entry visa then apply for a marriage visa once married. The main issue being that I am unable to gain employment until I have some type of visa.

Please help!

Many thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


This does sound complicated, however, if you have decided to get married, why do you not apply for a Fiancee Visa. If granted, this will allow you to remain in the UK for a period of 6 months during which time you will have to marry. Thereafter, you will be entitled to apply for a Spouse Visa


Click on the following link for further details of the Fiancee Visa:


I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is nothing more than I have already read in the webites therefore not at all helpful. I will not be accepting and wish my depsoit back.