How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir/Madam, Please read my situation below and advise

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please read my situation below and advise what legal action I can take?

I have been given UK entry clearence in 2008, it has nearly been a year. I have a baby girl she has her british passport and is now 1 year old. I am staying with my husband side family and recently is suffering in slience, I have been house bound to meet any one.

My husband does not say or do anything front of his parent, I also have found out that my husband has a conviction record and might go to prison soon this year. If he goes to prison, things at home will be more worse. The family has three son, all three of them has criminal records, one of the son is already in prison.

My visa is running out and wanted to ask, what action I can take with out my husband, to be able to get full indpendant stay – and claim for British Passport? If he goes to prison, I don’t think I can able to bear being with the inlaws, as they treat me like slave (cooking, cleaning) I am really scared what my future hold, I never thought comming to UK will feel like coming to a prison. I have family in this country, but due to my father in law bad behavours no body could come to see me. They are afride my inlaws can send me back home, if I don’t do as they told!

Please kindly email me back to this email,

Please write back to me soon.

Kind reagard

R Begum
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.



Thanks for yoru question.


This sounds like an awful situation to be in.


If you are on a limited leave to remain Visa, you will only be entitled to make an application for Indefinite Leave to remain with the support of thour husband. If he is going to prison, this may cause some problems.


I would suggest you contact the following:



If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I heard that the law has changed this year, that I am able to make claim Indefinite Leave with out my spouse? what worse can it get if my husband goes to prison? what can I do?
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.



In certain circumstances, you can obtain ILR without the support of your Spouse. The first thing you need to do in order to fulfill the criteria is involve external organisations such as the Police or the organisation I have mentioned above.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, last question. Would this police involvement be include as domestic violence kind of situation?
Expert:  INC replied 8 years ago.



Yes it would.


You would need to prove that you have been the victim of domestic violence or returning you to your home country would be detrimental to you.



If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you