How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1990
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am George, I have been given Discretionary Leave

Customer Question

Hello, I am George,

I have been given Discretionary Leave To Remain (a 5-year Limited Leave) and wife is a recognised refugee (a 5-year Limited Leave). Will eye be entiltled/eligible for Student Finance/Support to fund my undergraduate degree course?

Many thank.

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Does your visa state "No Recourse to Public Funds"?


Many thanks,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it does not. There is no restriction except the length of time which is 5 years.

I am asking this question because, I have already applied for the funding through Student Finance England. They were of the view that While those with Limited Leave can apply for funding it is those who are refugees or have had a failed assylum application.

I am from Ghana and wife is from Zimbabwe and while she was given a refugee status, I was given Discretionary grant of Leave to Remain although the visa given to ask is the same (5 year Limited Leave).

So what I want to know is what the Law says regarding the eligibility criteria.

As we speak now my applycation is still been procesed.

Many thanks.