UK Ford

UK Ford repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a problem with a 2004 ford mustang. When I'm on a…

I have a problem with...
I have a problem with a 2004 ford mustang. When I'm on a slick surface and try to stop, the brake peddle goes to the floor and I have no stopping ability. This is not a UK Ford
3/16/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

This model year should have ABS so it sounds like that not functioning correctly

do you have any flashing fault lights ?

is the brake fluid reservoir full ?

There are no flashing lights and the brake fluid reservoir is full.
Camille-Mod
I'm Camille, and I'm a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Best,
Camille - Moderator
Thank you - I'll be watching for the response.

Hello

OK

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 95% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Matt, Engineer