UK Ford

UK Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Ford

Neil. 2006 focus zetec 1.6. I've been readings Neil's advice

Customer Question
Hi Neil. JA: What is the...
Hi Neil.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 focus zetec 1.6
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I've been readings Neil's advice on how to test a clock spring in the steering wheel but my focus only has one black connector going into the lower part of the clock spring assembly. I've already earthed pin 2 on the horn relay and that activates the horn fine. I have all the steering wheel cowls off presently.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 39000. Yes no other faults
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the horn doesn't work
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Ford
6/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: Merc320, UK Car Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Merc320
Merc320, UK Car Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you.

If the horn works through relay then it can only be the clock spring.

Disconnect battery for ten minutes before you take the air bag off.

When you have the steering wheel off put a wire from steering column and clock

spring plate to see if horn works.

If not working when earthed then definetly clock spring.

I was hoping you might be able to tell me which pin on the wiring loom plug that is connected to the lower part of the clock spring assembly is the wire for the horn? There are six wires going into one black plug if I can earth that pin at the plug it will save me having to remove the wheel and air bag etc. But thinking on this will only indicate if the loom to relay is sound.
Regards,
Mark.

Unfortunatly you will have to take the wheel off, hope this helps.

Okay. I've not had chance to have another look since we last spoke. It's that hot today it burns your hand to touch the steering wheel. For £10 I can by a second hand clock spring. Is there anything that can go wrong with the horn pads/airbag? Presume it's one sealed unit?
Regards
Mark

Hi

As i said earlier you have to disconnect the battery for 10 to 15 minutes before you remove the airbag.

This lets the charge release from the airbag assy.

When you fit the clock spring you need to centralize it, turn it fully left then fully right counting the turns

then falf it so the steering wheel can do full lock both ways.

Merc320
Merc320
Merc320, UK Car Mechanic