Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

My headlights would come on a while after I switched them on

Customer Question

Good evening my headlights would come on a while after I switched them on maybe 5 minutes and this week it was getting longer, now they are not on at all but I have side lights and main beam all the time. Thanks Pearl
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Checked fuse in glove box 50 five red one on left. I have changed the passenger side head lamp and no change side lights and main beam only.
JA: What is the model of your '50 Ford?
Customer: It's a mk7 transit
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm just going though the basics light bulbs. Fuse in glove box, but no joy. Is it possible it might be the switch on the dashboard.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this does sound like an internal electrical fault with the switch itself on the dash board.I have seen some of these fail before in the past needing replaced for this issue here.The contacts in the switch fail and cause a signal loss like you see here requiring the switch to be replaced.The contacts either bend or start to corrode or burn causing this fault and can get worse over time.

I suspect this is the switch itself at fault needing replaced here.This will need to be tested further though electronically to verify this is the cause here for sure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete