UK Ford

UK Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Ford

Have 57 plate Citreon with the transit 2.2 engine engine

Customer Question
Hi have 57 plate Citreon...
Hi have 57 plate Citreon with the transit 2.2 engine engine rattling when warmed up only on idle new timing chain Egr injectors have been fitted injectors been programmed but this rattle still there drives perfect plenty of power also new day comes crank pulley and belts
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Top end I think it been going on since about may van on the road every day no problems
JA: Are you fixing your 57 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes with help from a friend how is a macanic 30 years plus no fault codes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Ford
10/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other end of the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces.

If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi all this has been done

Ok

I'm unclear if your EGR has been replaced or not ?

if not then check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked as its possible this could be combustion 'rattle'

Matt, Engineer