Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 60 plate For Focus, currently parked outside, went

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 60 plate For Focus, currently parked outside, went to open door, fob not working, neither is the key in the door or the button to open the boot. I have called the RAC but is there anything I can do in the 3 hour wait i now have?
Why would this happen?
When trying to use the key it makes promising sounds but the door wont open.
Sarah
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the key turning in the door lock cylinder to try and open the door or is it not turning at all or enough?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its turning, it doesnt feel like its not turning enough and you can hear it click open and a noise to relock, but the door wont open.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,try this as this sometimes works.Spray a small amount of lubricant into the key hole for the key cylinder and allow it to sit for about 20 minutes then insert and work the key in the cylinder and see if the door then releases.If it does then you should be able to see if you can recharge or jump start the battery.I suspect the overall issue is a dead or weak battery needing jump started or recharged then tested to see if it needs replaced.

If this does not work then the RAC may have to use their door tools to open the door to then gain access to the battery as this sometimes is needed with an issue like this here.The door cylinder would need inspected and latch to see if a component needs replaced if the lubricant doesnt work since it will not open with the key itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete