Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a ford tourneo glx 2004 bus engine code fifaa When i

Customer Question

Hi
I have a ford tourneo glx 2004 bus engine code fifaa
When i bought it it didnt run right
It was missing off a cylinder or so
We since have discovered that some one has put a mondei engine and gearbox in it . Code fmba
My mechanic now thinks the flywheel on this fmba engine does not match the crankshaft sensor ecu
Will the fifaa flywheel fit onto this dmba engine and gearbox
Category: UK Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fmba engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.

I can confirm the FIFA And FMBA Engine uses the same flywheel, the OEM Flywheel will fit the engine codes below.

fmba
fmbb
fifa
n7ba
d6ba
hjba
hjbb
sdba
d5ba
n7ba
hjbc

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would be the problem then
The van runs and once you rev it to 3000 revs it just conks out
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Do any warning lights flash when this happens?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The van just stops
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brings on the oil light etc and then just stops
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes on ticking over it misses on the injectors
The injectors have been checked and are fully coded
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Ok, this is a very common problem on these engines, unfortunately there are several causes but many can be narrowed down so excuse all of the questions.

Does the van restart instantly? And do you know if the fuel filter has been replaced recently?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Van does restart straight away will drive for a few miles then stop
Fuel filter was never changed by myself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know how long it has been on for ie fuel filter
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Change the fuel filter before going further as many times i have seen this caused either a restricted flow or moisture in the filter which will upset the fuel pump. For something that is a service item and no history of the last change its well worth doing either way and only costs around £10.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If that fails what else should i be doing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or checking
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Cam position sensor or crank position sensor will cause this, the crank sensor often wont show a fault code so again if the actual sensor has not been changed its worth considering the crank sensor. A Faulty cam sensor should show a fault code... but again worth keeping that in mind.

Other possibilities are the Inlet Metering Valve, injectors or fuel pump. We can rule out injectors... and with the symptoms I think the fuel pump is unlikely so this would go to the bottom of the list.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have replaced crank shaft sensor
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Another possibility is the engine ECU, They are usually fairly reliable on these models but i have seen them cut the pulse to the injectors when part of the circuit that controls them starts to fail.. Again this is a last option

The injectors should be tested with a spill of test kit, and the injector pulse should be monitored to see if there is an interruption in the injector pulse when it misses during idle. If there is an interruption the cam and crank sensor signal should be scoped to see if this is causing the problem, otherwise it leaves the fuel pump, ecu or metering valve.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately some garages still don't have access to a diagnostic system with a lab scope, it may be worth talking to your mechanic... if he has one it will rule out a lot of possible causes very quickly which can save a lot of guessing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will forward this info to him in the morning and see what he thinks
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

No problem, please keep me updated and If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.