UK Ford

UK Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Ford

Ford transit: 03 ford transit with fault codes P0403,P1564,P1665,P1631

03 ford transit with fault...
03 ford transit with fault codes P0403,P1564,P1665,P1631 and P1664
Can someone explain how to fix these problems I have some knowledge about these codes one is the injection pump control module malfunction how do you fix this and the others ?
7/14/2013
Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help with your question

Customer:

can you help with this question ?

techmachine :

Hopefully i can help you get to the bottom of these faults. Do you know if all of these faults occurred together ?

Customer:

I dont know but the van was ticking over and just stopped

techmachine :

I will post the definitions of each fault code for you.

techmachine :

P0403 - EGR Circuit malfunction

P1564 - Reduced fueling mode

P1665 - Injection pump control module communication fault

P1631 - Power hold relay / ECU Relay circuit fault

P1664 - Fuel pump malfunction (internal)

Customer:

Im really concerned with codes 1665 and 1664 and how to solve these ?

techmachine :

P1564, P1665, P1664 are all related to the fuel pump its self, its not uncommon on these by any means to get these fault codes when the high pressure fuel pump fails. The other two may or may not be related, however only P1631 can prevent the engine from starting and running.

1665 and 1664 is the high pressure fuel pump, it will be caused by an internal failure of the control unit built in, to only cure will be repair or replace of the pump

Customer:

We have a second hand pump to put in and I wonder would this work or does it need programing or will a diagnostic tool work for this ?

techmachine :

Yes a second hand pump would need to be programmed to the engine ECU, this needs to be done on specialist software rather than a generic scan tool as it needs to be able to communicate with the Ford ECU and pump

Customer:

would a vdo contisys scan diagnostics unit programme the pump or is it a ford dealer job ?

techmachine :

No, the VDO scanner is more of a reader than a programmer. Some mobile mechanics can do it if they carry a system that can program immobiliser systems, generally its only the very specialist systems or ford specific systems that can program it unfortunately.

Customer:

also should there be 12volt power in two pins going to top of injector pump as we have only power in one pin

techmachine :

Is this on the two pin connector?

Customer:

no its a 7 pin connector the white wire with green tracer has battery power and a red wire with black tracer has no power

techmachine :

I would need to take a look at the wiring diagrams to know for certain, from memory it is a ground but i will just confirm that, what engine is yours?

Customer:

the black wire with red tracer is the ground and not sure about the engine ?

techmachine :

From memory i think it is, but i cannot remember exactly what is what, i can find out for you if you can find which engine yours has as they are different. Is it the 2.0L or 2.4L

Customer:

the engine is 2.4 i think

techmachine :

Any idea if its a 2.4 DI or TDCI ?

Customer:

is it possible it could be a TDDI ?

techmachine :

I have taken a look at the diagrams, it would be a DI engine if its got the 7 pin connector, which makes more sense actually if its a DI engine.

The Red and black wire is the power supply from the fuel pump relay, there should be power there, the other white/green is from the engine ECU. this might relate back to the P1631 - Power hold relay / ECU Relay circuit fault if this relay has failed or there is no power from it from fuse 22 it will cause this fault code, as well as give fuel pump faults as there is no power supply, and therefore no communication on the CAN line

Customer:

we have no power in red wire with black tracer and wonder that the relay that sends power to that wire has no earth going to relay to work relay

techmachine :

It grounds back to the engine ECU its more likely to be Fuse 22 (20A) which is in the main under bonnet fuse box or the relay (relay failure is common)

Check the fuse and check the Fuel pump relay, it should be relay number 9 in the same fuse box. You can bridge the terminals to test, or swap with any other relay that fits from the fuse box, but check what relay you take because a lot of those relays are needed to start the engine so swap with the horn relay or washer/wipe relay etc..

Customer:

we have power going to relay and key power going to relay but no earth/could it be the immobiliser stopping the earth ?

techmachine :

Is there power at both sides of the relay?

techmachine :

There should be power to the coil of the relay and power to the switch

techmachine :

or switching side of the relay i should say.

Customer:

there is power at both sides of relay but no earth ?

techmachine :

Right, that's pin 2 of the relay, white and black wire, that does go back to the engine ECU.

I don't think the problem will be the immob if the immob if the light is not on, it would also make it far to easy to bypass if it was just a case of grounding the relay. I would say its either going to be wiring between the relay and the ECU or the ECU its self.

Customer:

can an earth be brought to that relay to solve problem of power going to pump on red wire with black tracer ?

techmachine :

Yes, or you can bridge pin 5 and 3 of the relay to put power to the pump to test.

Customer:

do u think its a bit of a coincidence that the pump has failed and there is no power going to it ? or is this known to happen together ?

techmachine :

I think the fuel pump failure codes are probably because there is no power to it, the engine ECU is probably thinking the pump has failed where as really its just the relay.

Customer:

I brought power to red wire with black tracer and the van still wouldnt start ?

techmachine :

Try holding power there, then clear the fault codes, crank and see what faults return.

techmachine :

again this can work backwards, a fault on the pump giving the fuel pump failure code can cut power/ground from the ecu to pump so we need to rule out relay first but it doesn't rule out the pump

Customer:

I will try this tomorrow can I get back to you tomorrow when Ive tried this ?

techmachine :

Yes of course, get back to me when every you can, i come and go all day on here so i will get back to you ASAP once i get a reply.

Customer:

thank you for your help and knowledge it is much appreciated and will get back to you asap when ive tried this.

techmachine :

No problem.

Customer:

hello again,going back to this 03 transit ,I tried holding the power and clearing the faults and the faults erased except for 1564 and 1664 so i guess that means the pump has to be changed ?

Customer:

please get back to me asap thanks

techmachine :

Hi, yes it does look very much like the pump, i wouldn't suspect anything else would be causing these faults so at this point i would be happy to say yes to the pump. Its not uncommon either unfortunately.

Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Ross
Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician