neil
neil, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  started as appentice electrician , now specialise in transit
41133646

Ford Mondeo: Hi I want to wire my towbar electrics into my

Hi
I want to wire my towbar electrics into my Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel estate (September 2012) using a by pass relay.
The light cluster arrangement has changed since my previous 59 plate.
Can you advise on the correct wiring connections.
Thanks

Hi there welcome and thank you for the question hope i can be of some assistance to your problem

Can you give me your reg so i can locate the correct wiring diagrams please.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

The registration is YC62 OVA

It is an estate

Thanks

Thank you for that i will look though the diagrams and get back to you shortly with the information.

Kind Regards

Hi there sorry for the delay.

Ok then i have listed the wiring colours for the light required i always advise though to double check these with a multimeter or test light as ford do sometimes alter there wiring colours on the vehicles before they amend the diagrams.

Now as you will see by looking at the rear lights some are on the tailgate and some are in the body so you will need to connect into the wires at two different places and i have put a picture in to help you identify where to connect in most of the wires are connect on the passenger side.

PASSENGER SIDE

brake light connector C4LS18-A violet / brown

side light connector C4LS18-A violet / green

indicator light C4LS18-A light grey orange

reverse light C44 green / brown

fog light C44 black

DRIVERS SIDE

Side light C4LS19-A violet / brown

Indicator light C4LS19-A grey / orange

graphic

graphic

Hope this helps you if you require further help then please ask

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Neil

I am just now doing the wiring but need some clarity.

On the passenger side I can find the C4LS18-A colours that you have identified.

On the driver side C4SL19-A however, there is no grey/orange wire.

The colours on this connector are :- orange/white, orange/green, brown/violet and black/blue.

On the C44-MN connector there is no black to the bottom and there are 8 blacks above.

There are 4 green/browns to the bottom and 3 green/browns above.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Neil

I am not sure if you have got this message (Saturday afternoon 2nd Feb).

Could you confirm

Thanks

Yes i am just looking at the wiring diagrams.

Ok then for the indicator try on the drivers it should be green with a orange trace and for the c44 plug i have put in a picture of the plug to help you as ford have put all the wires to black for security but on the diagrams they are listed as normally colours now you are looking at pins 3 and 5 in the plugs it is up to you as to which side of the plug you use pin 3 is the fog and pin 5 is the reverse light you should be able to tell which side of the plug is which by the pictures, you should also be able to identify these easy if you use a test light or multimeter.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Neil

The C44 plug details make things clear, thanks.

I think that is right as regards the RH indicator, as my very basic signal tester gets a pulse on that green/orange connection wire.

Before I power things up, could I just ask that you check the other connection points, so that I can be absolutely sure.

Passenger Side

Indicator - the grey/orange has a pulse so that seems right.

The violet/green cables alongside, are a double wire to the same terminal - is this definitely the side light.

Is the brake light definitely the single violet/brown cable, below.

Driver Side

Indicator - the green/orange has a pulse so that seems right.

Is the side light the white/orange alongside or the violet/brown below.

Thanks

Chris

Yes the violet green with two wires is the side light as one wire powers it and the other runs of to the other light.

According to the diagrams yes the brake is the violet and brown wire which you can test with you test light by just getting somebody to put there foot on the brake.

Again the diagram's say that the white and orange is the side light and the violet and brown is the brake light on the drivers side but again just double check with the test light as i said ford do alter the wiring without updating the diagram's which does make it very hard when fault finding.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The violet and brown on the passenger side only shows current when the brake pedal is applied, so that is right.

The violet and brown on the driver side for some reason seems to show a current regardless of whether the brake pedal is pushed, but that said, the bulbs only light when the brake pedal is pushed.

I have connected into the passengers side wire, so it should be ok.

After all that, I have the wrong size tap fuse to power the relay!

I think things are sorted now though, thanks.

Regards

Chris

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as i have not been able to access the question any way have you got the correct fuse and does i all work?

Kind Regards