UK Ford

UK Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Ford

Ford mondeo auto: XXXXX XXXXX need to change the front o/s suspension

Customer Question
Hi, I need to change...
Hi, I need to change the front o/s suspension spring on a 1999 ford mondeo automatic. I have read the Haynes manual and it seems to say that most of the front steering , braking and drive shaft (cv joint) has to be taken off (anything almost that fastens to the lower suspension arm). I was thinking that this seems alot to have to remove when on an earlier thread it said it takes about an hour labour. Could anybody tell me just exactly what I need to slacken off or remove. Many thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Ford
12/13/2011
Ford Mechanic: sean, UK Ford Master Technician replied 6 years ago
sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician

Hello, sorry nobody has replied sooner, I hope I can help.

Once the wheel is off you need to disconnect the anti roll bar link from the strut and disconnect the brake hose bracket from the strut. Unbolt the lower ball joint pinch bolt and separate the hub from the lower arm. Unfasten the strut bolt as shown below.

graphic

You then need to separate the hub from the strut, you may need to tap the hub down with a soft faced hammer.

Once the strut is free of the hub unfasten the top mounting nut as shown below and remove the strut assembly.

graphic

You don't need to disconnect the drive shaft from the hub.

Once the strut assembly is off the car compress the spring with suitable spring compressors, unfasten the top mount and release the spring.

The labour time is around 1 hour but if you haven't done this before then allow more time.

I hop this clarifies things but if you need further assistance let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Cheers XXXXX XXXXX should save me a few hours stripping front end off. Many thanks, Peter.
sean
sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician