sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.
31670004

Ford focus: ford focus dash warning lights and wipers stay

Customer Question

ford focus dash warning lights and wipers stay on without ignition turned on. any ideas?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Are the warning lights on when the car is turned off? Which lights are showing? What age is the car?

Let me know and I'll reply to you as soon as I'm able to.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when car is turned of all warning lights flash on and off. wipers switch on and off.car does not start every time, justs clicks. car is 2005
Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,sorry for more questions.

Is this a later shape Focus 2004.75 to 2011 shape?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

this fault is normally caused by water ingress in to the fuse box in the passenger side just below the glove box. This fuse box is also known as a GEM and is a control module for various systems on the car including the wipers. To confirm this drop down the fuse box by removing the felt cover (if fitted) then turn the two plastic retainers half a turn, the fuse box should now hinge down at the front. Disconnect the electrical connectors and inspect for any sign of corrosion on the terminal pins, pay careful attention to the connectors on the top. Any sign of water ingress and a new fuse box will be required which will need programming to the car, as I said earlier it is a control module as well.

If water has been in to the fuse box the source of the ingress needs to be traced and cured to prevent a repeat concern, normally reworking the heater air intake solves the main cause of water ingress in to this model.

Before disconnecting the fuse box make sure you have your radio code as you'll need this.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance and I'll reply to you as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.