UK Ford

UK Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Ford

A new fuel pump fitted to my transit van, but it still wont fire

Customer Question
I have had a new...
I have had a new fuel pump fitted to my transit van, but it still wont fire. I suspect that there could be an electrical problem, any ideas?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: UK Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/3/2011
Ford Mechanic: sean, UK Ford Master Technician replied 5 years ago

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

What made you decide to replace the fuel pump? What diagnostics have been carried out? What were the results? Which engine is this 2.4 or 2.0? TDCi or TDDi? If you're unsure have you the chassis number?

Thank you.

Hi Sean not sure that my original response got to you so repeating info. The Van is a Ford Transit 300 SWB TD. The engine just died on me so I called out the RAC who after some time decided that it could be the fuel pump. I was towed to the garage that normally look after the van. As a new pump was £800 sourced a second hand one from Auto Spares UK Ltd which was duly fitted and programmed for the van.However the engine will still not fire. Fuel is being sucked up as far as the pump but no further.

Hello again,

after replacing the fuel injection pump the fuel system can be very difficult to bleed, if you are sure there is no air in the fuel system then the pump operation requires checking.

With the ignition turned on pin 7 of the fuel pump connector should be a 12 volt feed try to check this with the wiring connected as if the pump is disconnected the engine management cuts the power to it after a short time. If there isn't a 12 volt feed check fuses 1.21 and 1.22 in the fuse box under the bonnet, these are located at the top of the fuse box and are both 20 amp rated.

If the fuses are OK check the fuel pump relay operation, this is in the same fuse box and is the third relay down on the right.

If the 12 volt feed to the pump is OK check continuity between pin 6 of the pump and earth, make sure the resistance is less than half an ohm, if there is a problem check the wiring for corrosion.

To check the communication wires to the pump requires a scope for the CAN signals these are pins 1 and 2 of the pump connector. If these are OK then ideally you need to have the engine management module memory scanned for fault codes to confirm this is a pump fault that is still causing the concern.

Make sure the wiring to the pump isn't damaged where it runs close to the engine, also check the wiring for damage or corrosion where the loom passes from the body to the engine on the passenger side.

Let me know if you require further assistance and I'll reply to you as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Thanks Sean, will speak to the garage, and come back to you if necessary.
sean
sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician