geoffsnake
geoffsnake, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  15 years motor trade, mot tester, mazda senior tech, ford tech, Nvq level 3
20485022

Ford focus c max 1.8 tdci

Hi i've a 07 focus c max 1.8 tdci. It's had a leaking oil seal thats between the engine block and what i believe is called the ladder bar (alloy casting between the block and sump). Amechanic friend came today to remove the ladder bar but now after removing all bolts etc it dosen't want to come away from the block. My mate seems to think it could be the crank oil seal on the flywheel end. He thinks we need to remove the gearbox and flywheel to access this oil seal to remove whatever it is thats fixing it in place. This seems like a massive job to me! Please can you advise.

Hi, yes the rear crank seal does have to be removed as this is bolted to the ladder frame, i cannot see from Ford pictures but the front crank pulley and chain cover housing may need removing aswell.

Not good news, never known a ladder frame to ever leak on these though!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if there will be any probs removing the gearbox and especially the flywheel/clutch?

Hi, just had confirmation from someone else that the front crank etc does not need to be removed(thanks)

As for removing the gearbox etc, no its pretty straight forward, you are supposed to renew nyloc nuts and bolts inc the clutch and flywheel bolts, this is upto you though. Also remember to drain the gearbox of fluid otherwise you will get covered in it, if you put new stuff in the spec is 75w90 semi synthetic.

You will need a new rear crank seal aswell.

If you in a position to do so it would probably be easier to drop the engine and box out of the car but that depends where your doing it really!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much for all this. Wish now i'd pushed to get it looked at when she still had a warrenty on it! Will prob get her up on stands and try to get the box out that way, hope our local dealer has a seal now! Thanks again.