UK Ford

UK Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Ford

how to renew rear subframe bushes on ford mondeo mk 3

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Ford
8/24/2010
Ford Mechanic: Mike, Technician replied 7 years ago
Mike, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

JACUSTOMER-0wydgwom- :

can you give me a step by step guide

MIKE :

Hello.. Can you tell me exactly which need replacing and what you have done so far if anything?

JACUSTOMER-0wydgwom- :

main subframe bushes

MIKE :

the ones on the outer edges?

JACUSTOMER-0wydgwom- :

i presume it is as you can buy them in apack of fourr with a removal tool

MIKE :

Ok .. its a fair task - you basically are meant to drop the whole crossmember / subframe- etc... So you have trolley jacks and suitable toolery / equipment and an area (flat ) to do all this?

JACUSTOMER-0wydgwom- :

yes

MIKE :

Ok - I can give you the procedure - its complete and long - so I suggest you print it out....

MIKE :

Please give me a few mins to upload for you

JACUSTOMER-0wydgwom- :

ok thankyou

MIKE :

Ok - Im going to switch us out of CHAT to the normal Q and A section - this will make life easier for us both - espcially the upload for you ... to get back to me - if needed - just use the Reply button..

Mike, Technician
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Hello again..

Ok - here below is the complete instructions as promised.. Note , on working through , you should be able to miss certain things, work round - to make life easier as you go - You can tie in with your Haynes if you like to see how that applies..
One other thing - for "muffler" - read - silencer ;) Also, where it makes mention of "refer too..." you can ignore that , its just reference material in my program.

Ok - so here are the complete instructions as promised..

Removal

All vehicles
1. Remove the wheels and tires.For additional information, refer to «Section 204-04».

Vehicles with xenon headlamps
2. Remove the headlamp leveling sensor.For additional information, refer to «Section 417-01».

Vehicles with 1.8L or 2.0L engine
µ 3. Detach the catalytic converter from the front muffler pipe.

l Discard the gasket and nuts.

Vehicles with 2.5L engine
µ 4. Detach the catalytic converter from the front muffler pipe.

l Discard the gasket and nuts.

Vehicles with diesel engine
µ 5. CAUTION:
Over bending of the exhaust flexible pipe may cause damage resulting in failure.

Support the exhaust flexible pipe with a support wrap or suitable splint.

µ 6. Detach the exhaust flexible pipe from the front muffler pipe.

l Discard the sealing ring and nuts.

All vehicles
µ 7. Detach the front and rear muffler assembly from the front exhaust hanger insulator.

µ 8. Note:
Support the front and rear muffler with a suitable axle stand.

Detach the front and rear muffler assembly from the intermediate exhaust hanger insulator.

Vehicles with 1.8L, 2.0L or diesel engine
µ 9. Remove the front and rear muffler assembly.

l Detach the muffler from the rear exhaust hanger insulator.

Vehicles with 2.5L engine
µ 10. Remove the front and rear muffler assembly.

l Detach the rear mufflers from the rear exhaust hanger insulators (left-hand side shown).

All vehicles
µ 11. Detach the stabilizer bar connecting link from the stabilizer bar on both sides.

µ 12. Disconnect the rear wheel speed sensor electrical connector from the rear wheel speed sensor on both sides.

µ 13. Detach the parking brake cable from the brake caliper lever on both sides.

1 Push the caliper lever.

2 Detach the parking brake cable.

µ 14. Detach the parking brake cable from the brake caliper on both sides.

1 Depress the locking tangs.

2 Detach the brake cable from the brake caliper.

µ 15. CAUTION:
Suspend the brake caliper and anchor plate to prevent load being placed on the brake hoses.

Detach the brake caliper and anchor plate from the wheel knuckle on both sides.

µ 16. Detach the front and rear lower arm from the wheel knuckle on both sides.

µ 17. Detach the tie-bar from the wheel knuckle on both sides.

µ 18. Using a suitable trolley jack, detach the suspension strut from the cross member ledge on both sides.

1 Raise the suspension strut.

2 Move the suspension strut away from the cross member ledge and lower the suspension strut.

19. WARNING:
Make sure the cross member is secured to the transmission jack. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.

Using a suitable securing strap, secure the cross member to the transmission jack.

µ 20. Remove the cross member (two bolts each side).

Installation

Note:
Final tightening of the rear suspension components should be carried out when the vehicle weight is on the road wheels.

All vehicles
µ 1. Using the special tools, align the cross member.

1 Install the special tools.

2 Install the locking plates and tighten the sleeve.

µ 2. Install the cross member (two bolts each side).

3. Remove the securing straps and the transmission jack.

µ 4. Using a suitable trolley jack jack, attach the suspension strut to the cross member ledge on both sides.

1 Raise the suspension strut.

2 Move the suspension strut towards the cross member ledge and lower the suspension strut onto the ledge.

µ 5. Note:
Do not fully tighten the tie-bar retaining bolts at this stage.

Attach the tie-bar to the wheel knuckle on both sides.

µ 6. Note:
Do not fully tighten the front and rear lower arm retaining bolts at this stage.

Attach the front and rear lower arms to the wheel knuckle on both sides.

µ 7. Attach the brake caliper and anchor plate to the wheel knuckle on both sides.

µ 8. Connect the rear wheel speed sensor electrical connector to the rear wheel speed sensor on both sides.

µ 9. Attach the parking brake cable to the brake caliper on both sides.

µ 10. Attach the parking brake cable to the brake caliper lever on both sides.

1 Push the caliper lever.

2 Attach the parking brake cable.

µ 11. Attach the stabilizer bar connecting link to the stabilizer bar on both sides.

Vehicles with 2.5L engine
µ 12. Install the front and rear muffler assembly.

l Attach the rear mufflers to the rear exhaust hanger insulators (left-hand side shown).

µ 13. Install the front and rear muffler assembly.

l Attach the muffler to the rear exhaust hanger insulator.

All vehicles
µ 14. Attach the front and rear muffler assembly to the intermediate exhaust hanger insulator.

µ 15. Attach the front and rear muffler assembly to the front exhaust hanger insulator.

Vehicles with diesel engine
µ 16. Note:
Coat the front muffler pipe studs with anti-seize grease.

Note:
Install a new sealing ring and nuts.

Attach the exhaust flexible pipe to the front muffler pipe.

17. Remove the exhaust wrap or splint.

Vehicles with 2.5L engine
µ 18. Note:
Coat the catalytic converter studs with anti-seize grease.

Note:
Install a new gasket and nuts.

Attach the catalytic converter to the front muffler pipe.

Vehicles with 1.8L or 2.0L engine
µ 19. Note:

Note:
Install a new gasket and nuts.

Vehicles with xenon headlamps
20. Install the headlamp leveling sensor.For additional information, refer to «Section 417-01».

All vehicles
21. Install the wheels and tires.For additional information, refer to «Section 204-04».

µ 22. Tighten the tie-bar to wheel knuckle retaining bolt on both sides.

µ 23. Tighten the front and rear lower arm to wheel knuckle retaining bolts on both sides.

24. Check the toe setting and adjust as necessary.For additional information, refer to «Section 204-00».

Vehicles with xenon headlamps
25. Initialize the headlamp leveling system using WDS.

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Edited by MIKE on 8/24/2010 at 2:44 PM EST
Mike, Technician