Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 115 engine nattles on tickover..low revs..runs well

My Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 115 engine nattles on tickover and low revs but runs well otherwise.
How do I rectify the noise.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Gallagher99 :

Hi there 2hf7sf7i , Ok when you say there is a rattling noise from the engine area ,

Gallagher99 :

Hi there 2hf7sf7i , Ok when you say there is a rattling noise from the engine area , is the noise more of a drumming noise than a rattle ,

Gallagher99 :

Hi there 2hf7sf7i , Ok when you say there is a rattling noise from the engine area , is the noise more of a drumming noise than a rattle , does this noise go away when you lift the revs slightly , doesswitching the air con on make the noise worse regards brian

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Brian, The rattle could be described as a loud tapping, a bit like an old London taxi. When you lift the revs a little it gets a little louder. It chatters if you tap the peddle. At 1500 revs it is regular and less obvious, at 2000 revs the engine runs smoothly. When I switch the air con on when ticking over, the revs remain the same but the noise gets louder. Tickover speed is 800 rpm. Hope this helps.

Regards John

Hi there John , sorry for the delay in my reply , the chat side of things is new to this site ,

Ok i supect the noise you are hearing is diesel knock from the fuel injectors

as your description says it chatters when you press the pedal ,

sometimes this can be diagnosed by putting the front and rear heated screens on to see if the noise gets any better ( if it does it tells you the injectors are knocking/worn )

you can have these injectors re-calibrated through fords IDS laptop ( this re-calibrates the parameters/knock limit of the injector , also the PCM should be re-programmed to the latest level , and also an injector leak back test carried out through IDS , as this will tell you if your injectors are starting to wear internally ( causing your diesel knock )

The only other noise issues we see on these engine are drumming noises from the accesory belt tensioner area but this goes away when you lift the idle .

if you need any more advice on this issue please let me know

if you are completley satisfied with my answer please CLICK ACCEPT

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Brian