UK Ford

UK Ford repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford: 53 plate..stereo..speakers are not blown, volume is..head unit…

Customer Question
Hi, My Ford Mondeo 53 plate...

My Ford Mondeo 53 plate stereo has gone very quiet, have checked speakers are not blown, volume is up full and you can only hear the music by putting your ears to the speakers, do i need a new head unit?

regards

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Bill, Technician replied 8 years ago
Bill
Bill, Technician

Good afternoon, I hope I can help you

First thing to do is remove the set and check the wiring plug connection at the rear is ok.

You need to make sure you have your radio code first though as it will lock out if the power connection is removed when checking.

If the connections look ok then the next step would be to try borrow one to see if that worked properly.

If it did then your one needs repaired or replaced. If the replacement had the same fault then you need to check out the wiring to each speaker for damage or bad connection.

Bill.

Bill

Thanks for the reply

If one speaker was blown would that reduce the volume of the other three?

When its blown does it usually mean there is a break/tear in the cone and would be visible on inspection?

I have checked all wiring and its in good condition

Regards

One speaker being blown would not reduce the volume to the others unless the balance and fade controls had been set to the blown speaker. I have seen this a few times with customers who didn't know how to set the controls properly.

A blown speaker could have a tear in it but it could also be a fault with the wiring on it or a blown resistor if fitted.

A visual inspection may not be good enough. You need to check resistance of each wire from the rear of the set to each speaker.

Bill.

Bill.