UK Ford

UK Ford repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine warning light is coming..temperature guage

Customer Question
The engine warning light is...
The engine warning light is coming on occasionally, the fan is coming on a regular basis and the temperature guage varies between normal and very low. What could be causing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Ford
6/22/2010
Ford Mechanic: Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bob
Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic

Hi there hope i can be of assistance.

Ok the first thing to have done is a diagnostics check to see why the engine check light is coming on, this will direct the diagnostics in the right direction.

However from what you describe this could be a fault ECT sensor, or local wiring.

This sensor detects engine coolant temp. The ECU uses this info to turn on the fan, control the gauge and advantge the ignition timing/fuelling ratio.

This sensor is located under the ignition coil pack on the right hand side of the cylinder head.

Thanks Bob