UK Ford

UK Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Ford

ford: van..keeps cutting out even at 60mph starts most of time..trip

Customer Question
got an 06 ford transit...
got an 06 ford transit swb van. keeps cutting out even at 60mph starts most of time with ignition again. had a bad 20mile trip today must have started it about 40 times. Then didn't want to start again 2hrs later. Any ideas thanks russell
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2010
Ford Mechanic: Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Bob
Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic

Hi there hope i can be of assistance.

Does the glowplug warning lamp flash at any point?

Does this happen when accelerating or is this random?

What milage is on the van?

Thanks bob

The glow plug warning light flashes everytime just before it cuts out. It happens when your accelerating and when driving at a steady 50 or 60 doesn't seem to influence it. happens at any speed. There is 77000 miles on van. Thanks Russell

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, first check the small gauge ontop of the fuel filter. This is located in the right hand side of the engine bay, attached ontop of the filter hosuing.

If the yellow indicator is into the red zone of the filter, replace this.

If the fault re-occurs, you really need a diagnostics scan of the engine managment system. This is becuase there are many possible causes of this, and this scan will pin point the fault. Without this we cant giver a 100% accurate diagnosis, just guide on the common causes of this.

The most common cause of the this is the fuel metering valve. These cost around £150 front Ford and take approx an hour and a half to fit.

Other possible causes are the injectors, crank sensor failure, fuel regulation fault.........this is why we need the scan.

Thanks Bob

is the gauge ontop of fuel filter the fuel metering valve you mentioned or something else. If so approx cost to replace,

No the small gauge ontop of the filter is to monitor the amount of water in the filter itself.

When this gets into the red, the filter needs replacing.

When there is too much water in the filter, it causes a reduction in fuel pressure. This then causes the van to cut out/poor start.

The fuel metering valve is attached to the injection pump, cost around £150 for the part plus around 1 1/2 hours labour.

Thanks Bob

Bob
Bob
Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic