Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have an 04 Mondeo tdci, the turbo keeps cutting out and at

I have an 04 Mondeo tdci, the turbo keeps cutting out and at the same time the temp guage shuts down. Re start the car and everything is ok. Intermittant fault, any ideas.
Hello

The fact that both events occur simultaneously probably means the fault is electrical.
In which case check carefully, the wiring and connection to the ECU (Engine Control Unit ). Check this for any poor wires / connections etc - disconnect it and spray the connections on both the plug and socket (pins ) with a good spray switch or contact cleaner ( electrical ) NOT WD40 or anything similar as this can cause problems.
Proper cleaners are available from the likes of Maplin or car accessory shops.

Also check very carefully the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry mate but I think this problem goes a little deeper than dirty electrical contacts. The temp guage is showing a wide range of fluctuation while running and when the turbo shuts off the temp guage does too. This suggests to me that there is a temp sensor somewhere that is faulty or maybe even a knackered thermostat confusing a temp sensor which is in turn telling the ecu to shut the turbo and engage safe mode. But there again,I'm no expert. Just wondered if anyone had come across a similar problem and could point me in the right direction. Regards, Rich.

Hi there rich , your spot on with what your saying , the fault lies with the CHT sensor this is the cylinder head temerature sensor , this is located above the gearbox on the side of the cylinder head , This is a ONE TIME fit only sensor as when its installed its tip is crushed into the cylinder head , when this sensor is faulty it will engage limp home mode to save the engine from further damage,

The only problem you will have is removing/installing this sensor as we at ford have a special socket that slips over the wire ,

i think it sits in i recess which makes it inaccessiable with a spanner

i hope you will find this information good help to you

and if you need any more help please let me know

Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE