Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford: tdci..tool..No. 1 piston is not 50 degrees before tdc as..specs

I am trying to set timing on a ford mondeo diesel tdci mk3 2002. My timing tool which goes on the crankshaft sensor hole drops in when No. 1 piston is not 50 degrees before tdc as should be according to specs. Would you please tell me what I should do or can some one come help me in Bristol.
Hi thereCustomer, ok you need to remember thats there is 2 different Crankshaft locking tools

Timing Tool, Crankshaft

303-675 and

Timing Tool, Crankshaft

303-698

These are diiferent in apperence ,

The one you need for the TDCI is 303-698 , this has a thicker body to it and also has a smaller bit at the end of it which is thinner than the body ( this locates into the flywheel) the other tool is for TDDI engines(303-675) and is the same length right down to the bottom of the tool,, this is possibly why the timing is out as it will fit nearly evey gap on the flywheel

Vehicles with common rail fuel injection only ( tool = 303-698)

• cautionCAUTION: Do not rotate the crankshaft when the special tool is fully located into the flywheel. Failure to follow this instruction will cause damage to crankshaft position (CKP) sensor hole.

NOTE: Only rotate the crankshaft in the normal direction of rotation.

NOTE: The special tool must be fully inserted.

Insert the special tool through the CKP sensor hole to achieve 50 degrees before top dead center (TDC).
  •