UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I just wanted to know if it's against the law to use someone…

Hi I just...

Hi I just wanted to know if it's against the law to use someone else's surname even though your birth certificate states different.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

United kingdom

3/15/2018
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Hi

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

You can use any name you like in English law as long as you do not act in a fraudulent way.

Obviously the fact of using a different name may give rise to an inference that you are up to no good but it is not against the law per se.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just that my brother used a different surname and run up debt and know he using mine and my dad's surname to rent a property and is not using his own surname on his brith certificate. He has different dad to me
Phone call session started

I can do a call but it will be tomorrow now.

is that ok?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok you can get me on***********then please but not between 10am and 13am at work thanks.

Ok. Maybe before 10hrs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks.

Is now ok?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok that fine thank bye.

Sorry. I got busy. I can do now whenever you like ?

Or shall we agree a specific time ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No phone call needed you answered my question thanks for your service
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister