UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have a legal question regarding child support in the UK.

Customer Question
I have a legal...

I have a legal question regarding child support in the UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

West Sussex

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

The person is already paying 10% of her income for child support. I want to know if she got a large court settlement from a separate cycle does she have to pay 10% of that to the child

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Family Law
She went through a divorce and then paid child support until she did not have a job. She stopped working about 3 years ago. Apparently you do not have to pay child support if you do not have a job. About 2 years ago she received a large settlement from the death of another child from another marriage and I need to know if she was required to pay 10% of that settlement in child support.
3/14/2018
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 4 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
Hello and thanks for the question.When someone loses a job then normally the Child Support Agency reduce the payments to reflect the circumstances.Generally, gifts and inheritances aren't considered income for child support purposes. However, a court may construe an inheritance as income if a parent refuses to work, but uses the interest accrued on the inheritance to cover living expenses.If the financial position – the income or capital wealth – of the paying ex-partner improves significantly, then it might be possible to ‘capitalise’ the maintenance payments.This means that the person who receives the maintenance would get a one-off lump sum and the maintenance payments would stop (called a ‘clean break’).Have you spoken to the CSA yet or a lawyer? I can point you in the direction of a family lawyer who can help you with an application to the CSA.Let me know if you’d like the details.Best wishes,J
Hi, if you could please accept my answer, many thanks
Ok. Thank you. Is there a law you can refer me to regarding legal settlements or inheritance not being considered income for child support purposes? Just need that in writing that it is not generally considered for child support purposes. Let me know
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.