UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Me and my husband are Polish citizens living in England for…

Customer Question
Hi Me and my...

Hi Me and my husband are Polish citizens living in England for over 5 years now. I'm willing to divorce my husband, we got married in Poland over 3 years ago. We have one child 2. 5 years old and one property together in England. How do I start divorce proceedings?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

West midlands, England

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As we both directors of limited company and I'm worried about that

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Family Law
12/23/2017
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 7 months ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

In the UK there are 4 simple steps you need to take in order to obtain a divorce;

• Find a valid ground for divorce to use.

There is only one basic ground for divorce, which is the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. You can prove irretrievable breakdown by establishing one or more of the following 5 'reasons';

These 5 reasons for divorce that are listed below are commonly called the grounds for divorce, even if not strictly correct.

Below you can find more detailed information on each reason for divorce you can use, but here is an overview;

• Adultery
  • Desertion
  • Unreasonable Behaviour
  • 2 years separation with consent
  • 5 years separation without consent
  • Then file a D8 divorce petition form with the courts.
  • Apply for a decree nisi.
  • Apply for a decree absolute.

In order to be able to file for divorce you must meet the demands of the court, which you can see an overview of below;

• You must have been married for at least twelve months.
  • You have a valid ground for divorce.
  • Your ex-partner is likely to agree to the divorce.
  • You must see England or Wales as your permanent home, or be domiciled in England or Wales if you live abroad.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.