UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My wife has a 10 year old child with her ex husband. Since…

My wife has a 10...
My wife has a 10 year old child with her ex husband. Since they split in 2010 they shared residence on an informal basis. Earlier this year ex moved 200 miles away and child lives with us (sees father 1 weekend in 3 and 2/3 of school holidays). The Dad now says he wants son to move and go to secondary school where lives year after next. Son, who is autistic, is confused about change and sometimes days he want to live with dad but can't explain why. Dad says court will do as son says and he will therefore live with him automatically. Is this correct? He is surely not mature enough to make such a decision.
12/9/2017
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

This is not correct. The court will listen to the views of children but it is only one factor in the welfare checklist and not indicative. The older a child becomes (13-14 etc) the more that they will listen to the child, but at this age and in light of the fact that he is autistic I would not consider that this would be the determinative factor. The fact that he lives with you and has on the basis of you being the primary carers would be the key factor. There is an excellent book on this topic on Amazon which might help explain it all a bit better (its a tenner I think) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/How-Represent-Yourself-Family-Court-understanding-resolving/147211910X

I hope that this helps and please rate positive.

Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate