UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I would like to marry my Lebanese boyfriend in the UK, we…

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is***** would like to marry my Lebanese boyfriend in the UK, we are a gay couple and I don't know what is the best way to do this. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No, I live in UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am Spanish nationality and I don't know the economic requirement to apply for a visa to bring my fiancé to UK

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Solicitor: Buachaill, Barrister replied 7 months ago
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Hello, I would like to know if I can bring my Lebanese boyfriend to marry him in the uk

1. Dear Daniel, there are two aspects to your question.

2. Firstly, there is no economic requirement for you to get an EEA Family Permit to live with your boyfriend in the UK. You are entitled to an EEA Family Permit if you have been in a two year subsisting relationship with your boyfriend or if you are married to him.

3. However, if you have not been in a subsisting relationship for two years, then you will need a Marriage visa, which lasts six months to bring your boyfriend to the UK FOR the purposes of getting married to him.

4. Only then, after you have been married in the UK, can you get an EEA Family Permit whereby he can live and work in the UK.

5. However, your Lebanese boyfriend will have to leave the UK temporarily, after getting married, in order to then apply for an EEA Family Permit.

6. Here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out how you can apply for an EEA Family Permit https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

7. Here is a link to the Marriage Visitor Visa which will entitle you to bring your Lebanese boyfriend to the UK for marriage https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

8. So whilst it is a one step process if you have been in a subsisting relationship for two years, it is a two stage process if you have not. Your other alternative is to get married outside the UK and then apply for the EEA Family Permit.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.