UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My husband and I are seperated and he has signed the house…

My husband and I are...
My husband and I are seperated and he has signed the house over to me for £40k. If we do not divorce, can he try and claim more money for the house in the future?
11/22/2017
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Thank you for your question
My name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
We have been married for 21 years and we have 2 children aged 13 and 18. Our home is worth about £600k and the outstanding mortgage is about £170k. He also has a pension pot of around £500k vs my £250k. He is a chronic alcoholic who has not worked for about 2 years.

Thank you for that - what income do you each have?

He has no income. My salary is £47k per annum.

UNless and until there is a final financial order sealed by the Court within Divorce proceedings your ex will always have a potential financial claim against you - as you do against him.

Of course you are receiving the vast majority of the capital assets BUT you also still have responsibility for a minor child and there is a considerable disparity in your pensions - all good arguments for your having a larger share of the capital

I am sorry that I cannot be more positive, but please ask if you need further details

Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor