UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Is it legal for a thirteen year old to collect a seven year…

Is it legal for a...
Is it legal for a thirteen year old to collect a seven year old sibling from school and then look after him at home
11/21/2017
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

It is not illegal but it is unwise and if anything should happen the parent involved is likely to face potential care proceedings and potentially a charge of neglect

You can read more here

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/leaving-child-home-alone

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Thank you. If the parent has informed school that she has approved this arrangement and has been made aware of potential risks to her if something were to go wrong at home or en route from school, could there be any repercussions for the school?

No although I would expect the school to report this to Social Services as a potential safeguarding issue

Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor